The earthquake swarm is continuing on São Jorge as we write, albeit it at a much lower intensity. The swarm is located on the Manadas Fissure system. INVOLCAN has sent a team to assist the local scientists (CIVISA and IVAR). CIVISA advised on 6 April 2022 that volcano-tectonic earthquakes had been detected suggesting magma movement at depth.
While we wait to see what transpires, here are some statistics.
- Number of earthquakes ≥2.0 reported on IPMA’s site: 793
- Maximum number: 127 on 20 March 2022
- Minimum number: 5 on 31/03/2022 and 06/04/2022 (7/04/2022 is not a complete day)
- Maximum magnitude: 4.0 (29/03/2022, 21:56:16, 38.686°N, 28.215°W, 10km)
- Maximum depth: 26km on 20 March 2022 and 28km on 28 March 2022.
We have updated our earthquake plots for 38.548°N, 27.677°W to 38.769°N, 28.350°W from 19th March 2022 to 7th April 2022.
© copyright remains with the author; all rights reserved, 2022.
IPMA – Seismic Map (for raw earthquake data)
Volcano-tectonic tremors recorded for first time on quake-hit Azores island | Reuters